Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) for Guests and Employees During Covid-19 Pandemic
A Tent With A View Safaris, under the guidance from the Ministry of Natural Resources in Tanzania, has established a series of new measures to prevent the spread of Covid 19. We are happy to inform you that our camps & lodges are now ready to host all guests again with protocols in place to maximise safety, with as little inconvenience as possible.
Please find the below procedures put in place in each of our facilities:
- Requirement for all guests to check the temperature of all their group before commencing their journey to Tanzania.
- Hand sanitiser will be available in all public spaces, including the arrival car park, bar/restaurant, pool terraces, treehouses/hides, and in all game drive vehicles.
- Staff helping with guests’ luggage will all be wearing protective masks and gloves.
- Guests will be briefed upon arrival at the camp on measures taken to combat the virus.
- Checking if all guests have a mask and if not provide them with one.
- Explain the sanitiser points around the camp.
- Explain bar and restaurant service protocol – guests to place glasses/plates on a tray left by waiter and waiter then touches only the tray. Separate staff member washes up.
- Explain payment protocol. Use sanitiser before and after handling card/cash.
- Communal toilet protocol - signboard on the door to wash hands thoroughly and disinfectant next to toilet to use on the seat.
- Pool and treehouse will remain closed.
- If anyone should feel ill, there is a remote thermometer in each camp to check temperatures and one room has been left free and sanitized daily in case anyone needs to self-isolate. Should any guest feel their symptoms deteriorating there is a full protocol in place to evacuate Covid-19 patients by air to Dar es Salaam and the Aga Khan hospital. The modern and extensive facilities here include 100 ICU beds and 40 ventilators, very few of which have been occupied recently after cases of the virus fell away considerably.
- Vehicles will be cleaned and disinfected before each game drive or transfer as well as afterwards.
- Vehicles will all carry hand sanitiser.
- Drivers and guides will wear face masks at all times whilst with guests.
- Guests who are not travelling together will never be asked to occupy seats in the same row as others. Whether in a vehicle with two rows or three, there will never be more than two sets of guests in any vehicle. This will mean a maximum of four clients per car, unless one set is a family who may occupy two rows in a three-row vehicle. Game drive vehicles have plastic screens between driver and each row of seats behind. Note that all cars are open air vehicles.
- All boats will also be disinfected and sanitised and activities will be undertaken with the same occupancy restrictions as in game drive vehicles. Sable Mountain boat will take maximum four people. Large groups will be split into groups with a maximum of four per game drive car. The camp departure time will be staggered to allow the first group to complete a boat safari before the next arrives. As a result, boat safaris will be a little shorter than usual.
- Guides shall not pass their binoculars/guide books to guests during game drives, although animals/birds can be shown by the guide holding up his/her book. Guests are recommended to bring their own binoculars to enhance their safari experience.
- Packed lunches on full day safaris must be taken out of the box by each client without touching others and after applying hand sanitiser.
Around the Camp/Lodge
- Rooms will be cleaned and disinfected daily and room attendants will wear gloves and masks for each daily room cleaning and turn-down.
- Each set of guests will sit at their own table for meals and the bar sofas will be spread to maintain adequate social-distancing of 1.5 metres.
- Waiters and bar staff will wear masks and gloves at all times.
- There will be no buffet service in the restaurant or refilling of drinks in the bar. Glasses will be placed on trays by guests and taken away by the waiter without touching. Each drink will then come in a new glass.
- All staff will undergo daily body temperature checks before commencing their shift.
- Communal areas (such as restaurant, bar, car park, research centre, toilets etc.) will be regularly disinfected and there shall be sanitiser dispensers stationed for use.
- The swimming pool will, unfortunately be closed until further notice as a result of Covid 19.